Historical Sites & Structures
Ainsworth House (1910) – A turn-of-the-century home built by Louis
Ainsworth as a retirement home for he and his wife, Persis. 414 E. Chapman,
Orange. (714) 997-1370.
Anaheim Landing Site (1864) - The Anaheim Landing Company serving
the Anaheim Colony established Anaheim Landing as Orange County’s first port.
Despite treacherous entrance conditions, regular trade passed through here for
almost two decades. California State Historical Landmark. Northeast corner of
Seal Beach Blvd & Electric Ave, Seal Beach.
Bacon House (circa 1884) – Originally built by an unknown squatter
in a remote area of Abel Stearn's Rancho Los Coyotes and eventually ended up
as a residence for Robert D. Bacon, a turn-of-the-century Buena Park farmer.
Next door to Whitaker-Jaynes House (see Whitaker-Jaynes House).
Balboa Pavilion (1905) – One of California’s last surviving
turn-of-the-century pavilions. Built by the Newport Bay Investment Company to
enhance the development of Balboa. It has long enhanced Newport Beach as a
seaside recreational destination and a prominent navigational landmark.
National Register of Historic Places. California
State Historic Landmark. 400 Main St, Balboa (Newport Beach).
Barton Mound Site (1857) – Near here, outlaw Juan Flores and his
band ambushed Los Angeles County Sheriff James Barton and his small posse.
Barton and three of his men were killed. A much larger posse was shortly
thereafter formed in Los Angeles that later captured Flores and his men.
California State Historical Landmark. Southeast corner of I-405 & State Hwy
133, 2 miles south of East Irvine.
Black Star Canyon Indian Village Site (1832) – Site of an ancient
Indian village. Orange County historian Jim Sleeper recorded that a massacre
of the native residents by non-native settlers occurred at this site. In 1878,
coal was discovered in the canyon and the Black Star Mining Company was
formed. California State Historical Landmark. Black Star Canyon on Black Star
Canyon Rd, 6 miles north of Silverado Canyon Rd, 9 miles north of Silverado.
Bradford House (1902) – Home of prominent Placentia rancher Albert
Sumner Bradford. 136 Palm Circle, Placentia. (714) 993-2470.
Brea City Hall & Park (1929) - First government facility in Orange
County consolidating municipal functions, including a library, in one
building. National Register of Historic Places. 401 S Brea Blvd, Brea.
Carbondale Site (1878) - Site of the 1878 coal discovery. The
village of Carbondale was built on the flat near the mine, called the Santa
Clara. The town died when the mine closed. California State Historical
Landmark. Silverado Community Church entrance, Silverado Canyon Rd, 1.1 miles
west of Silverado post office, Silverado.
Chapman Building (1923) – Fullerton's first "skyscraper," built by
Charles C. Chapman, an orange industry giant and a leading Orange County
citizen. National Register of Historic Places. 110 E Wilshire Ave, Fullerton.
Courreges Ranch Site (1896) - Home site of Basque sheep rancher,
farmer and businessman Roch Courreges and his wife Magdalena Mogart. Roch was
a founder of the First National Bank of Huntington Beach, among other
ventures. The old tank house, built in 1908, still stands. 8572 Talbert Ave,
Crane Residence (unknown) - Former house of Dr. Julius A. Crane.
Currently it is the Civic Center office of California Federal Bank. National
Register of Historical Places. 518 N Broadway, Santa Ana.
Crystal Cove Historic District (1920s) - This historic district was
once an enclave of private beach cottages and it now is one of last examples
of Southern California beach life during the 1920s and 1930s. National
Register of Historic Places. 7402 Southeast Coast Hwy, Laguna Beach.
Dana Point (1835) – Location visited in 1853 by Richard Henry Dana,
author of Two Years Before the Mast. The cove below, El Embarcadero,
was a concealed anchorage for ships trading with the Mission San Juan
Capistrano. Argentine pirate Hipolito Bouchard also anchored his ships at this
location in 1818 when he raided the local mission community. California State
Historical Landmark. Ken Sampson Overview, south of Blue Lantern @ Santa Clara
Ave, Dana Point. .
Diego Sepúlveda Adobe (1868) – Built as a station for Mission San
Juan Capistrano, the property was later transferred as part of the Rancho
Santiago de Santa Ana land grant and ended up in the possession of Diego
Sepúlveda. California State Historical Landmark. Estancia Park, 1900 Adams
Ave, northwest corner of Mesa Verde Dr West & Adams Ave, Costa Mesa.
Dr. Willella Howe-Waffle House (1889) – Home of Orange County’s
first practicing woman physician. She conducted some of her practice in this
home. 120 Civic Center Dr, Santa Ana.
Episcopal Church of the Messiah (1889) – Santa Ana’s oldest building
still used publicly at its original location. 614 Bush St, Santa Ana.
Fairview Indian Site (circa 1500 B.C.) – Home site to at least two
different Indian cultures, the earliest dating back to 1500 B.C. National
Register of Historic Places. Placentia Ave, south of Adams Ave, Costa Mesa.
First Adventist Christian Church (1881) – Tustin’s first church. It
continues to be in service since it first opened. 555 W. Main St, Tustin.
Flores Peak Site (1857) – Here, Juan Flores and his band of outlaws
were cornered and captured by a posse led by General Andrés Pico after the
band earlier ambushed and murdered of Los Angeles County Sheriff James Barton
and several of his posse (see Barton Mound Site). California State Historical
Landmark. Flores Peak, Tucker Wildlife Sanctuary, north side of Modjeska
Canyon Rd, Modjeska Canyon.
Forster Mansion (1845) - Home of Frank Forster, grandson of John and
Ysidora Forster, former owners and residents of the Mission San Juan
Capistrano property until their eviction by the U.S. government in 1864. This
mansion was once social hub of the Capistrano Valley. National Register of
Historic Places. 27182 Ortega Hwy, San Juan Capistrano.
Friends Church, Historic (1888) - The colony of Friends who
organized the town El Modena (previously Modena and Earlham) dedicated their
first church in 1887, but it was destroyed by Santa Ana winds in 1887. The
church was rebuilt in 1888 and served the congregation until they moved to a
new location in 1967. It is now part of Moreno's Restaurant property, whose
owners had rescued the historic church. 4328 E Chapman Ave, Orange.
Garcia Adobe (1840s) - Built by Portuguese merchant Manuel Garcia,
it is now the last surviving Monterey-style adobe in Orange County. The adobe
was once the French Hotel, a general store and San Juan Capistrano’s first
American post office. 31851 Camino Capistrano, San Juan Capistrano.
George Key Ranch (1898)
- This historic ranch home offers a window to life in the early days of Orange
County citrus farming. National Register of Historic Places. 625 W Bastanchury
Rd, Placentia. (714) 528-4260.
Glenn Martin Balboa-to-Catalina Flight Launch Site (1912) – On May
10, 1912, Glenn L. Martin flew his plane, built in Santa Ana, from the waters
off this location to Catalina Island. This was the first water-to-water flight
and the longest and fastest flight over water to that date. California State
Historical Landmark. South end of Main St @ Ocean Front (Balboa), Newport
Harrison Farmhouse (circa 1906) – Now the offices of the Capistrano
Indian Council, this structure was an example of single-wall construction, a
style not common in Southern California at the time. 27762 Ortega Hwy, San
Helme-Worthy House and Commercial Bldg (1902 & 1904) - Matthew Helme
moved the farm house to its present site in 1902. He also built the commercial
building at 515 Walnut Ave. It is a rare western false-front building.
National Register of Historic Places. 128 Sixth St, Huntington Beach.
Heritage Hill Historical Park - Four historical buildings
representing distinct eras in the early history of the Saddleback Valley and
El Toro areas. Serrano Adobe (circa 1863) – Structure from the Mexican
Rancho era. El Toro Grammar School, (1890) – Early El Toro structure.
St. George's Episcopal Mission (1891) - Early El Toro structure.
Harvey Bennett Ranch House (1908) - Citrus farming days in the early 20th
century. 25151 Serrano Rd, Lake Forest. (949) 855-2028.
Heritage House (1894) - Home and office of Fullerton’s pioneer
physician, Dr. George C. Clark. Fullerton Arboretum, 1900 Associated Rd @
Yorba Linda Blvd, Fullerton. (714) 278-3579.
Hewes Mansion (1881) - This 14-room mansion, built by David Hewes,
was once the largest and most elegant house in Tustin. 350 B St, Tustin. Not
open to the public.
Irvine Bowl (1941) – Rancher James Irvine II donated the land on
which the Bowl is located. The Bowl is annually the site for the Festival of
the Arts and Pageant of the Masters. 650 Laguna Canyon Rd, Irvine.
Knott's Berry Farm (1920) - Walter and Cordelia Knott arrived here
to do farming. Their roadside berry stand evolved into America’s oldest theme
park. 8039 Beach Blvd, Buena Park.
Kraemer Building (1925) - Prominent Orange County businessman and
rancher Samuel Kraemer built this six-story building dubbed "The 'Kraemer
skyscraper." At the time, it was the tallest building in Orange County. 76 S
Claudina St, Anaheim.
La Cristianita Monument (1769) – The first Christian baptism in Alta
California occurred in nearby Cristianitos Canyon when Father Francisco Gomez,
accompanying the first Portola expedition, baptized two dying Indian infants
on July 22, 1769. California Historical Landmark. 100 Avenida Presido, San
Lighter-Than-Air Ship Hangers (1942) - Commissioned in 1942 as a
naval air station, the giant twin hangers on the naval air station here were
built to house up to six anti-submarine surveillance blimps each during World
War II. These hangers were some of the largest unsupported wooden structures
in the world. In 1951 the station was reopened solely for helicopters.
National Register of Historic Places. Valencia & Redhill Avenues, Tustin.
Lily Creamery Site (1889) – Once the location of a creamery. J.M.
Pitblado built a condensed-milk factory here that was later acquired by
Charles F. Bixby. Bixby installed the first evaporated-milk cannery in
California. 6586 Beach Blvd, Buena Park.
Lovell Beach House (Private) (1923-1926) - Designed and built by
architect Rudolph Schindler, a student of Frank Lloyd Wright. National
Register of Historic Places. Not open to the public. 1242 W Ocean
Front, Newport Beach.
Macadamia Nut Tree (1880s) - The oldest macadamia nut tree in
California, planted by the "Societas Fraterna," a spiritualist commune that
practiced vegetarianism. National Register of Historic Places. 136 W Palm
Circle Rd, Placentia.
McCoy-Hare House (1874) - Built by Dr. James McCoy, first physician
in Westminster, it served as an early Orange County pharmacy. Orel and Marie
Hare (Marie Hare was a prominent educator in the community) acquired the
property in 1912. 14161 Beach Blvd, Westminster.
McFadden Wharf Site (1888) - The original wharf at this site was
built by the McFadden brothers as the coastal terminus of their Santa Ana &
Newport Railway. During 1891 to 1907, it served as the key seaport for much of
the lumber and goods produced in Orange, San Bernardino, and Riverside
Counties. California State Historical Landmark. Newport Pier, southeast corner
of west Ocean Front & McFadden Place, Newport Beach.
Minter Residence (1877) - One of downtown Santa Ana’s last pioneer
homes. Named for George W. Minter, the home is across the street from Santa
Ana’s first public park, Birch Park, named for Minter family relative, Albert
W. Birch. National Register of Historic Places. 322 W Third St, Santa Ana.
Mission San Juan Capistrano (1776) – First non-native settlement in
Orange County. This mission was founded as the seventh of the chain of 21
California missions. It was personally dedicated by Father Junípero Serra. The
original stone church was destroyed in the earthquake of 1812. Confiscated by
the government under the Mexican flag, the mission was returned to the
Catholic church in 1865 by President Abraham Lincoln. National Register of
Historic Places. California State Historical Landmark. Northwest corner of
Camino Capistrano & Ortega Hwy, San Juan Capistrano. (949) 234-1300.
Modjeska Historic House
& Gardens (also known as "Arden") (1888) - Home of the world famous
actress Madame Helena Modjeska. National Historical Landmark. National
Register of Historic Places. California State Historical Landmark. 29042
Modjeska Canyon Rd, Modjeska Canyon. (949) 855-2028.
Montanez Adobe (dated to 1794) – Home of Dona Polonia Montanez who
had provided religious instruction to children between 1886 and 1910 when the
Mission San Juan Capistrano had no resident priest. She was called the "Pied
Piper of San Juan," because children always surrounded her. National Register
of Historic Places. 31745 Los Rios St, San Juan Capistrano.
Mother Colony House (1857) – First house in Anaheim and home of
George Hansen. As such, it served as center for the development of the Anaheim
Colony (that became first a major wine-producer and then later, a major orange
producer). In 1929, the home also became Orange County's first historical
museum. The landmark, served as Hansen's. California State Historical
Landmark. 414 N West St, near Sycamore St, Anaheim. (714) 765-1850.
Muckenthaler Cultural Center (1924) - This mansion was built by
Walter and Adella Muckenthaler. Their son Harold wanted to see his childhood
home used as a cultural center for the public to enjoy, so he donated it to
the City of Fullerton in 1965. It has since been a center for art exhibits,
theatre and other educational programs. National Register of Historic Places.
1201 W Malvern Ave, Fullerton.
Murphy-Smith Cottage (1920s) – A completely restored 1920's classic,
typical beach bungalow. 278 Ocean Ave, Laguna Beach.
Newland House Museum (1898) – Home of Huntington Beach pioneers
William and Mary Newland. 19820 Beach Blvd, Huntington Beach. (714) 962-5777.
Nixon Birthplace (1912) – Farmhouse, built in 1912 where, on January
9, 1913, Richard M. Nixon, 37th President of the United States, was born to
Frank and Hannah Nixon. The young Nixon spent his first nine years here and
went on to become the first native-born Californian to move into the White
House. National Historical Landmark. National Register of Historic Places.
California State Historical Landmark. 18001 Yorba Linda Blvd, Yorba Linda.
North Gate of Anaheim Colony Site (circa 1857) - A fence of willow
poles was erected around the Anaheim Colony to keep out free-roaming wild
cattle. This was the site for the gate installed at the north end of the main
north-south street in the colony. Since this gate led to the road to Los
Angeles, it was the community’s main gate. California State Historical
Landmark. 775 Anaheim Blvd @ North St, Anaheim.
Old Landing Site (1870) - Captain Samuel S. Dunnells landed here in
Newport Bay with his sternwheel steamer Vaquero, opening the bay to
shipping. As a new port between San Pedro and San Diego, the landing was named
"New Port." California State Historical Landmark. Dover Dr, 500 feet north of
State Hwy 1, Newport Beach.
Old Maizeland School (Rivera School) (1868) - First school in the
Rivera District. It was previously located on Shugg Lane, now Slauson Avenue.
California State Historical Landmark. Knott's Berry Farm, 8039 Beach Blvd,
Buena Park. (714) 771-6731.
Old Orange County
Courthouse (1901) - Southern California's oldest court building. This
courthouse was site to all local governmental transactions and court
proceedings that marked and shaped Orange County’s early history. National
Register of Historic Places. California State Historical Landmark. 211 W Santa
Ana Blvd, Santa Ana. (714) 834-3703.
Old Santa Ana Site (1769) - Near the campsite of the Portolá
expedition on the bank of Santa Ana River. El Camino Real crossed the
river near here. The location was called "Santa Ana" by travelers and locals
until the town of Santa Ana was founded. California State Historical Landmark.
Northwest corner of Lincoln Ave & Orange Olive Rd, Orange.
Old Town Irvine (1887) – The original distribution and storage
center for the 125,000-acre Irvine ranch, Located here was a bean and grain
storage warehouse (1895), a granary known as the Irvine Bean and Grain
Grower's Building (1947), a blacksmith's shop (1916), a hotel (1913), a
general store (1911) and an employees' bungalow (1915). All of these
structures remain. California State Historical Landmark. Sand Canyon Ave &
Burt Rd, Irvine.
Olinda Site (1897) – Site of the boomtown Olinda that flourished for
more than four decades after oil pioneer Edward L. Doheny’s discovered oil
here in 1897. Olinda went into decline as the oil decreased. California State
Historical Landmark. Carbon Canyon Regional Park, 4442 Carbon Canyon Rd, Brea.
Olive Mill Site (1882) - Site of the first flour and feed mill in
the town of Olive, built by Thomas Dillin and sons of the Olive Milling
Company. In 1889, fire destroyed the structure in 1889, but, because of its
importance, it was quickly rebuilt. 1405 E Lincoln Ave, Orange.
Ontiveros Adobe Site (1841) – Site of the adobe built by Juan
Pacifico Ontiveros, grantee of Rancho San Juan Cajon de Santa Ana. Near corner
of Crowther Ave & Porter Way, Placentia.
Orange, Site of First Building (1871) – The first building in Orange
was erected at this site by attorney and land agent Andrew Glassell. It served
as his residence and tract office. He planted two orange trees in front of his
office in order to attract prospective buyers. Southwest corner of the plaza,
intersection of Chapman Ave & Glassell St, Orange.
Orange Union High School (1905) – For 49 years, this campus served
as high school for Orange students. It now serves Chapman University. National
Register of Historic Places. 525 N Shaffer St, Orange.
Pacific Electric Depot (1909) – Depot for the Pacific Electric
Railway "Red Cars," serving the La Habra line. The line served the farming
communities and rich new oil fields in the area. National Register of Historic
Places. 311 S. Euclid St, La Habra.
Plaza Historic District (1871) - Capt. William Glassell surveyed the
boundaries for the plaza for Orange founders Alfred Chapman and Andrew
Glassell. National Register of Historic Places. Intersection of Chapman Ave &
Glassell St, Orange.
Post Brothers Plow (1937) - This huge, 15-ton steel blade, built by
Charles and Norman Post, was used to plow up thick sand and debris on
farmlands deposited by Santa Ana River floods. It saved much of Orange
County’s farmland from waste. 15261 Brookhurst Ave, Westminster.
Ramon Peralta Adobe
(1871) – Oldest adobe on the former Rancho Santiago de Santa Ana and the
last remaining of the early structures. 6398 E Santa Ana Canyon Rd, Anaheim.
Red Cross House (1895) - This home, built by John Woelke, a Chicago
restaurateur, was donated for use by the American Red Cross in 1953. Anaheim
Landmark. 418 N West St, Anaheim.
Red Hill Site (1890s) – Earlier known as Cerrito de las Ranas
("Hill of the Frogs"), the hill has been a significant landmark and was once
mined for cinnabar (mercury) during the 1890s, which gives the soil its red
color. California State Historical Landmark. Church of the Covenant Elementary
School, 11911 Red Hill Road, Santa Ana.
Rendezvous Ballroom Site (1928) – Site of the popular block-long
dance and music establishment that served as a center for young people for 38
years. It accommodated up to 1,500 couples on its dance floor and was known as
the "Queen of Swing." During the early 1930s, thousands of young people
descended on the location for "Bal Week," a week of days at the beach, dancing
to Big Bands at the Rendezvous Ballroom and partying until dawn throughout the
Newport Beach area. The ballroom burned down twice, in 1935 and finally in
1966. It was not rebuilt after 1966. On Ocean Front between Palm & Washington
Streets, Newport Beach.
St. Michael's Episcopal Church (1876) - Designed like an English
countryside church, this building was moved to its present location in 1955.
It stands adjacent to the congregation’s newer sanctuary. 311 W South St,
San Juan Capistrano Historic District (1794) - Orange County’s
oldest neighborhood. A variety of historic structures, some dating back to
1794, lie within this district. National Register of Historic Places. Los Rios
St between Del Obispo & Mission Streets, San Juan Capistrano.
San Juan Capistrano Jail Cell (1896) - This jail cell held prisoners
before transport to county jail in Santa Ana. It was originally located on
Camino Capistrano at Ortega Highway. Los Rios St between Del Obispo & Mission
Streets, San Juan Capistrano.
San Pedro Gate of Anaheim Colony Site (circa 1857) - A fence of
willow poles was erected around the Anaheim Colony to keep out free-roaming
wild cattle. This was the site for the gate installed at the west end of the
main east-west street in the colony (also see North Gate of Anaheim Colony
Site). Traffic moved through this between the colony and Los Angeles and the
port at San Pedro. When Anaheim Landing (see Anaheim Landing) became a port,
the gate became very busy. Intersection of Lincoln Ave & West & Center
Santa Ana's Birthplace Site (1869) - Site of the sycamore tree from
which William Spurgeon first viewed the land purchase for the new town site
that would become Santa Ana. In 1976, a new California sycamore tree was
planted at the site to commemorate the location of the original "Founder's
Tree." W 5th St, between Sycamore St & Broadway, Santa Ana.
(Old) Santa Ana City Hall (1925) – Center of Santa Ana city
government until 1949. National Register of Historic Places. 217 N Main St,
Santa Ana Army Air Base Site (1942) – Site of the Santa Ana Army Air
Base. During World War II, the base was America’s largest basic training
center for aviators and flight crews. Soldiers received basic training here
before being transferred elsewhere for specialized flight training. The site
is now home to Orange Coast College, the Costa Mesa Civic Center and the
Orange County Fairgrounds. Orange County Fairgrounds, Costa Mesa.
Santora Building (1929) - A combination of the names "Santa Ana" and
"Orange" provided the name "Santora" for this elegant Moorish style building
designed by Frank Lansdown. This ornate two-story shopping arcade offered some
of the finest shops, including the popular Daniger's Tea Room, in Santa Ana.
207 N Broadway, Santa Ana. National Register of Historic Places.
Serrano Adobe (circa 1842) - José Serrano, grantee of the Rancho
Cañada de los Alisos erected a number of adobes at this location,
including the one that remains. California State Historical Landmark. National
Register of Historic Places. Heritage Hill, Serrano Regional Historic Village,
northeast corner of Lake Forest Dr & Serrano Rd, Lake Forest.
Sepulveda Adobe (Estancia) (circa 1823) – Originally built as
a station for Indian cattle herders for the Mission San Juan Capistrano, the
abode came into the possession of Don Diego Sepulveda, a former Mexican period
mayor of Los Angeles. In 1963, the Segerstrom family, last private owners of
the site, donated the property to the City of Costa Mesa. Estancia Park, 1900
Adams Ave, Costa Mesa.
Silverado Site (1878) – Site of a former mining boomtown in Cañada
de la Madera (Timber Canyon) after silver was discovered nearby. California
State Historical Landmark. Next to Silverado Fire Station #2, end of Silverado
Canyon Rd, 3.4 miles east of Silverado post office, Silverado.
Smith & Clark Brothers Ranch House (1880) – Once a home site for
James M. Smith in Mountain View (now Villa Park). National Register of
Historic Places. 18922 Santiago Blvd, Orange.
Spurgeon Building (1913) – An old landmark in downtown Santa Ana,
built by Santa Ana founder William Spurgeon. This was the third building built
by Spurgeon at this site (the first built in 1875). National Register of
Historic Places. 206 W 4th St, Santa Ana.
Stanley Ranch Museum (1892) - Home of the Garden Grove Historical
Society containing several historic Garden Grove structures. The site also
includes the original garage that Walt Disney used as his first studio in
1923. 12174 Euclid Street, Garden Grove, CA 92840. (714) 530-8871.
Steven's House (1887) - Sherman Stevens, a partner in the San
Joaquin Fruit & Investment Company on the Irvine Ranch, built this house. It
is surrounded by seven other Victorian-era buildings. National Register of
Historical Places. 228 W Main St, Tustin.
Truxaw-Gervais House (1909) - This landmark, erected in 1909 by
Dosithe Gervais, evokes memories of the years when the spacious, three-story
house was the home of Dr. John Truxaw and his wife, Louise, raised their eight
children. Today, after years of neglect, new owners have restored the stately
home. National Register of Historic Places. 887 S Anaheim Blvd, Anaheim.
Walker's Theatre (1910) - A former livery stable, this building was
converted into a movie theatre in 1924. The theatre was designed by Carl
Boller. It now shows Spanish-language films. National Register of Historic
Places. 308 N Main St, Santa Ana.
Westminster Auditorium (1940) - One of the few surviving WPA
projects in Orange County, this building was one of those built to replace the
school seriously damaged by the 1933 earthquake. National Register of Historic
Places. 7571 Westminster Blvd, Westminster.
House (1887) – This house was built for Andrew W. Whitaker when he
arrived from Indiana. Andrew was brother to James A. Whitaker, founder of
Garden Grove. 6631 Beach Blvd, Buena Park. (714) 562-3570.
Yorba Adobe (1840s) - Built by Domingo Yorba. The Oyharzabal family
took up residence here since 1880. National Register of Historic Places. 31871
Camino Capistrano, San Juan Capistrano.
Yorba Adobes (Miguel Yorba & Juzgado) (early 1800s) - These were
originally two adobes. The north adobe, a residence of Jose Miguel "Chavito"
Yorba, was believed to have been built by his father, Jose Antonio Yorba II,
who reportedly lived there in 1841. The south adobe was first used as a
Justice Court and jail (juzgado) and later as a stage stop. The two
buildings were joined together in 1910 by Harry and Georgia Mott Vander to
create a residence and store. In 1946 the joined adobes were acquired by
Clarence Brown and opened in 1948 as El Adobe de Capistrano Restaurant. The
first event there was the wedding reception for Camp Pendleton’s first
Commanding General, Major General Joseph
Fegan. 31891 Camino Capistrano, San Juan Capistrano.
(1858) - Established by early Spanish land grantee Bernardo Yorba, this is
the oldest privately established cemetery in Orange County and among the
oldest in California. Only the Mission San Juan Capistrano cemetery predates
it in Orange County. 625 W Bastanchury Rd, Placentia. (714) 973-3190 or (714)
Yorba Ranch House Site (1834) - Bernardo Yorba built his famous
Hacienda San Antonio at this site. From here, Yorba created one of the
greatest ranchos of California's Spanish-Mexican era. He was the third son of
José Antonio Yorba, who journeyed with the Don Gaspar de Portolá expedition in
1769. California State Historical Landmark. Northeast corner of Esperanza Rd
and Echo Hill Lane, Yorba Linda.